What is my hen doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have a silkie hen who is acting funny. I don't know if she is feeling well or what is going on??
    She is 7 months old. She never lays eggs in the nest boxes. She lays on the floor over in the corner which is "her spot". I let it go because it's what she likes. [​IMG] The past 3 or 4 days when I go to get her egg or move her because I am worried about her she makes this loud sqealling sound. I have never heard it before. She also is puffing herself all up when I touch her or pick her up. She doesn't want me to touch her. Oh, she is also sort of sticking her rear end up and keeping her head down. I keep checking her for wounds or problems. Nothing.
    The only other thing I can think of is that wants to go broody which would explain her behavior I guess?? She is staying in her spot a lot.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yep she's broody! [​IMG]

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    she might get mad and peck at you too... she wants to keep her eggs and hatch them =broody

4. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    She hasn't pecked at me yet. I have lifted her off her nest many times to give her a drink. I don't think it's warm enough here in Maine yet to let her hatch them. I hope I can break her of it. She's pretty determined though. [​IMG]

5. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    shes broody.

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Oh thank goodness! I was really worried that she was in pain or something. I was picking her up and feeling her all over. I even thought her crop felt impacted or something.
    Well, at least she is going to be ok then.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Be happy! Got a Silkie, two years later and nothing! The little free-loader just isn't in it for mother-hood. [​IMG]

If you want some babies soon, rejoyce! If not, you can break her or let her go on with her fantacy to be a Mommy. In this weather, I'd think it would be smarter, less painful, and much easier to let her be happy. Your girl is fine, totally normal.

8. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    Jenny, make a little box thing (milk carton crate) or something so she can set inside some nice warm straw, or anything like that. It sounds like she may be just laying on the cold ground/floor? Broody hens are very easy to move, along with the eggs. I have done that a number of times to an appropriate place to stay more safe away from other hens bugging her. Have a great day.

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Yah, she is laying on the floor of the coop. I was worried about the eggs getting too cold when she gets up to eat and drink?? So do I just take her and her eggs and her bed of hay and move her? I thought about maybe moving her into a cat carrier or a box. This is obviously my first time with a broody hen so any tips would be appreciated.

10. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    Jenny, sorry you have not received any more answers to your question. You probably have already acted on this, but yes, you can just move that broody hen, they are pretty much in a state of trance and you can do pretty much anything to them when they are sitting. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by