What is my obligation?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Jan 18, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Some of you may have read previous stories about my very odd neighbor. He has caused various problems since we have been at our house but they have all been resolved fairly well. He has a major thing about his cats. He is constantly worried that our dogs will do something to them (I tell him that as long as his cats stay out of my backyard he has nothing to worry about). His cats are outdoor cats that he brings inside sometimes. He has at least three and his roommates have, I think, two more. Two of his cats are strays that he has been feeding for a few years. One is not neutered and he refuses to get it neutered because he says it isn't fair to the cat to neuter it at this time in its life [​IMG] . Anyway, the issue we are having now is that there are cats pooping in my front garden. This is a veggie garden where I grow food to feed my family. It is completely unacceptable to me that cats are using it as a litter box. I told him that we are going to be putting out a cat trap this week in that area. If I end up getting his cats in the trap, what obligation do I have to let them go since they belong to my neighbor? He knows that his cats poop on other people's property. He doesn't keep a litter box at his house and admitted that his cats are probably the ones doing it as he knows they poop in his other neighbor's planter every day. He laughed as he said that, apparently thinking it is funny. My husband thinks that we should take any cats we trap to the humane society regardless of who they belong to. Frankly, I would love to do that, but I would hate to start a war with this neighbor. We are looking at getting a motion sprinkler to scare them away as well. What do you think? Should I take his cats to humane or keep giving them back to him even if they are the cats causing my garden to be contaminated?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    If your dogs were on his property, he would have be angry and do something about it. Have you point blank told him that if you capture any cats, you are taking them to the Humane Society? What was his reaction.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup..think of ot this way..If your dogs went on his property and hurt his cats,...he would be livid.
    Soo... why should you tolerate HIS animals on your property? I know i wouldnt...
    YOU did the right thing by warning him.... thats ALL you owe him. Catch his cats and bring them to the shelter. He must not care about them anyways if he just lets them roam anywhere.

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    IMO you have fulfilled your obligation by telling him you are setting traps. He has been informed that his poop-terrorist cats are not welcome on your property. If they end up in the trap, I say take them to the Humane Society with a clear conscious. [​IMG]

5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Motion Sprinkler! Two birds, one stone!

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    personally... I think you are under no obligation to even inform him about the capture... I would just dump them off at the local humane society or animal control.

they are on YOUR property... destroying YOUR things... he is not a responsible pet owner...

I would just keep my mouth shut...

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some people think cats belong outside everywhere.
    IMO they don't - housecats are non-native terrorists that belong in the house 24/7 instead of wreaking havoc on native fauna - not to mention chicks.
    I admire you for the upfront warning but now if anything happens to any of them you are prime suspect.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I guess as someone who has pets I would hope that my neighbor would let me have a chance at changing. (granted it sounds like you have tried) If you trap his cat I would give it back to him 1 time and let him know the 2nd time they are going to the humane society because of the reasons you gave.

I would hate to make a war out of something if it could be avoided.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh, and i would NOT tell him that you caught his cat. You ALREADY warned him..right??
    No need to bring it up again... just take the cats to the shelter. He's been fairly warned.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Neighbor wars never turn out well.
    For those who have cats and care for their cats I would think if they continually disappear they will start keeping them in.
    I don't think your neighbor is one that cares for his cats. No litter box? WOW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by