what is my olive egger going to look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Soot the silkie, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I've just been wondering what my frizzle olive egger chick is going to look like when she grows up. Is she going to be mottled? Plain brown? Can anyone tell if she has the frizzle gene because she doesn't have feathers on her feet and my other frizzle does so I don't know if she's frizzled. [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Chipmunk indicates more of the "wild type" pattern which usually turns into some form of partridge coloring.

As to frizzle, I can't answer that as I've never owned a frizzle, but feet feathering or lack thereof won't make a difference as it is the frizzle factor in the feathers. Often it is seen with foot feathering because the most common frizzled bird is a Cochin, which has feathered feet.

As EE's are hybrids of Ameraucana or Araucana on one side and any other breed on the other, to achieve frizzle a feathered footed Cochin may have been used for the one...or not...as again frizzle can happen in any breed of chicken if selection has been done for the frizzle factor.

At least my understanding,
    Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  3. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Ok thank you! I was hoping for partridge colouring

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What do you know about her parentage? A frizzled isn't common in the breeds commonly used to make an OE, making me curious.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I don't really know much about her parentage. We got her from a local person who hatches rare breed eggs and sells them. I actually think the chick that I previously thought was a frizzle OE may actually be a Maran/Legbar, and the person messed up when they sold me two frizzle OE's and a Maran/Legbar, because the tiny wing feathers that are coming in look exactly the seem on one supposed frizzle and the cross. That's really all I know

7. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    I've been raising frizzle of different varieties for a few years now and have found they're all a bit different depending on the lineage. All of my frizzle are either easter eggers or olive eggers, but that's what I've specifically bred for. As for the chick, you'll be able to tell immediately if it's a frizzle or not as soon as it first begins to featherout. Frizzle feathers curl back on themselves instead of laying flat and overlapping.

8. GardenWren

GardenWren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Manchester, TN
    Just curious how your chick feathered out? Did she end up being a frizzle?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by