What is my rescued rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by allisonbatman, Dec 22, 2013.

1. allisonbatman

allisonbatman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Royersford, PA
    This is my new baby, Peter, from the SPCA. He was confiscated as part of a neglect/abuse case. That's all the history I have. He has blossomed into a really sweet, protective guy. He has feather covered feet, you may not be able to see that in the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's not a purebred, he looks like a silkie mix. Mixed with what, I have no idea. He's sure cute and the silkies and silkie mixes have reputations for nice temperaments.

1 person likes this.
  3. allisonbatman

Jul 20, 2012
    Royersford, PA
    Thanks!

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I have one that looks exactly like him, best rooster that I have ever had. The only thing I know about mine is that he is a mutt from a silkie owner. Yours looks like he is starting to come out of a molt.

1 person likes this.
  5. allisonbatman

Jul 20, 2012
    Royersford, PA
    The girls just molted, they are just over a year. Peter has looked like this since I got him, just over a month ago. When I went to pick him up at the SPCA he only had a bowl of scratch grains. Maybe poor diet?

6. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes diet does effect it. Also, the long tail feathers and fluff take longer to grow in. Mine took 3 months even with a good diet to grow everything back. The vent area will fluff up a bit and the long tail feathers at the top will start coming in and droop down. They look really nice and proud.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He's a handome Silkie cross rooster! My guess would be that he is mixed with some sort of red bird, but this is really just a guess. Reasons why he may be looking like he's just finishing/starting a molt include a protein deficient diet, picking by other birds, or mites and lice. You may want to check him for mites, just in case.

1 person likes this.
  8. allisonbatman

Jul 20, 2012
    Royersford, PA
    ok thanks!

9. allisonbatman

Jul 20, 2012
    Royersford, PA
    I just googled images of mites, it turned my stomach a little. Oh my.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    its not a pretty sight, especially in really bad cases
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by