1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is my rooster doin?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newguineamom, Aug 16, 2014.

1. newguineamom

newguineamom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    I have a 4 month old american game rooster I acquired. He has begun a little dance around me where he dances in a circle around me with his wing extended down by his feet and makes a growl. Why does he do this?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's the courting dance they do before they jump on a hen.

3. newguineamom

Jun 6, 2014
    that's what I was thnkn. Awesome ! I grew up with chickz but no roos. Its been an interesting journey so far. Thanks again!

4. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    He's dancing at YOU? Hope you have some hens around there. LOL He might get possessive.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

That may seem cute........

But it is the first sign of rooster aggression. He is telling you he is dominating you.

2 people like this.
  6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I agree with Enola.

Be very careful around your rooster.

In doing the mating dance for you, the rooster is trying to show his dominance - over YOU.

Every time he starts doing this, I would recommend that you take a nice big step towards him, which should cause him to back off.

He needs to know YOU rule the flock, not him.

It's fine if he dances for his girls though - he is meant to do that [​IMG]

- Krista

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

8. newguineamom

Jun 6, 2014
    I do have 4 pullets but when I let him around them he attacks them. I know some was posturing but he made 1 bleed. Since then he free ranges all day and the girls+ 1 young rooster stay in the pen. He is around me and my daughter during the day in the yard. He dances around us. We have begun walking towards him like we are picking him up, its hilarious he freaks out and runs away. I make him let me hold him every night before I put him in his kennel.

9. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Are the pullets friendly to you? If so, maybe he's trying to punish them to keep them away from you for himself or to keep you to himself.

10. newguineamom

Jun 6, 2014
    the pullets are skittish. They are faverolle wydanotte x, he can't get to them. They are about 2mnths younger than Richard, that's the roosters name, so I'm a little nervous about getting them together. I'm scares he will kill them. Rich is an American game rooster. Any advice is appreciated. BTW; 1 of the babies is a young rooster and that concerns me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by