What is my rooster doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spanishchick, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Spanishchick

Spanishchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    For the past few days my Rooster is having fights with the chickens that are not RIR's. He is a RIR and he has 2 chicks like him, but my Easter Egger and Buff ..... I look like I'm having cock fights in my yard! He doesn't have much of a spur yet but I can imagine what would happen if he did. The RIR chicks just bow their heads and he carries on (I don't think he's mating yet).

BTW the girls are WINNING! This is just crazy someone is going to call the police or tell me to charge for the show [​IMG]
    In all seriousness I hope this doesn't continue for long. He's about 7 months now, doesn't crow and you don't want to know the name we gave him for now anyways.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. At 7 months, this behavior sounds normal. After a while the hens will submit in all likely hood.

Wish ya the best.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, it's normal. The hens are not going to accept him yet. They are teaching him manners. [​IMG] My cockerel had the same problem, then one day, he started climbing the pecking order one hen at a time.

4. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    LOL [​IMG]in the meantime my neighbors will have a blast watching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. SoDak605

SoDak605 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    South Dakota
    My oldest rooster never had an issue with pecking order, hes been at the top from the beginning. One of my younger birds that happens to be the biggest bird in the yard, still gets chased by older hens half his size and he still squawks like a sissy when they pick on him. I suppose once his spurs are all the way in and he realizes he is the biggest in the yard he will move up the ladder as well.

6. Spanishchick

Nov 29, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    If they fight with spurs they can gash the chicken to death. I say this because it doesn't look like my two fighting chicks really care. The americana mut (lays cream eggs) is very cocky. I never would have thought that from that waddely, short little thing :D and so since she's like her owner, I have to say that's not always a great thing.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by