What is my rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by monarc23, Jul 18, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Hi guys,

I was just PMing someone about eggs and then we got to talking about my two chickens I have. I sent them a picture because I wanted to have my birds IDed. The hen I have just learned is a barred rock (which makes sense lol). The rooster however hasnt' been IDed. He is deffiantly a rooster, (crows, mates with the hen in question, and has spurs). He's a great boy. We got him from someone at my moms work WHO got him from someone at his church who was going to kill him because he supposedly was a flogger. He has NOT flogged anyone hes actually a very wonderful rooster. Crows everytime he sees me such a sweetie. He will also jump for food if I ask him to.

[​IMG]

2. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I would have to say the roo is a Rhode Island Red (RIR).

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    As small as he is a bantam RIR....very handsome....

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I know isnt he (handsome)! I just adore him [​IMG] One odd thing though is do ya'll think he could be mixed with frizzle??? A lot of his feathers curl, and they have this rough texture to them. Tomorrow if i have time I'll try to get a close up picture of what im talking about...it reminds me so much of those frizzle chickens.

5. Beanbag

Beanbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    South Georgia
    Rhode Island Red bantam! Squee!! my little frizzle chick's father is one of those. [​IMG]
    My Frizzle chick's mother is a white frizzle cochin Bantam, and the father is a smooth feathered RIR Bantam. There is a pic of my frizzle in my signature.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use to have a RIR hen that her feathers curled in places....so that happens...

7. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Your rooster is a rooster!!!

Well it looks like an RIR. He's really pretty.

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awhh so my lil guy is most likely a pureboy awh! HE HE!

9. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    yep, looks pure to me! adorable RIR bantam roo. looks just like the big guys I had but mini. and he's a GORGEOUS deep mahogany color too. looks very well taken care of, and the hen is a beauty too. [​IMG]

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by