WHAT IS MY ROOSTER

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kimvaughn, Nov 25, 2013.

1. kimvaughn

kimvaughn New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    I have just had this rooster gave to me i was told he was a turken and obviously he does have turken in him but this is the first time i have ever seen a turken with a fuzz knot on his head like that can anyone tell me what he is crossed with i think he is gorgeous and also what would be a good breed to breed him with

[​IMG]

2. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    He's a silkie cross. He's not just poofy on his head, he's got fluff all over! Plus, he has a silkie's dark skin.

3. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Looks like a showgirl? Showgirls are silkies with the naked neck gene, but most I've seen are white.

4. Hanna8

Jan 26, 2012
    Yep, showgirls are made by breeding naked necks and silkies. I think most are white because white silkies are the most common variety. I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that they are trying to make them an accepted breed. That requires getting one variety accepted first and then adding more later. They probably made the call to start with white. Plus, whites look the most flashy with the contrast between the skin and feathers. I'm sure genetics comes into play too.

5. kimvaughn

kimvaughn New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks so much i thought he was a showgirl but i have never seen one in his colors he is a multitude of colors so that through me off

6. kimvaughn

kimvaughn New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    i also have 3 of his babies my mom gave me him and 3 of his babies cause she is weeding out her flock here they there mommy was a silkie and he was there daddy so they grow up to look like him right except for possible different colors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  7. kimvaughn

kimvaughn New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    so will i breed him to a silkie or another showgirl

8. Hanna8

Jan 26, 2012
    I don't really know much about the specifics of the genetics at play. You should head over to the showgirls thread and ask there.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by