What is my rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JadeKai, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JadeKai

JadeKai New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    I got him from hatchery as Ameraucana. I think he has all the breed standards, except of the color. What color is he?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's Easter egger colored! No specific name as it's not a specific color.

4. JadeKai

JadeKai New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Thank you. I looked all over ebay, and even though they sell eggs from "ameraucana's" that look like him, they don't fit in to the breed standards. I figured they must be Easter Eggers trying to pass as Ameraucana's, just wanted to be sure.
    My chickens are all actually crossbred, I'm just trying to figure out how to mix pure bred chickens with the ones I have and still be able to tell which hens lay pure eggs.
    They all lay pink, purpleish and light brown eggs, so getting ones that lay blue eggs or very dark brown eggs would help me how to figure hens out.
    My best bet would be getting rid of the rooster, but I'm just too attached to him. He lets me pick him up and eats from my hand. I hate to lock him up since all the rest roams on 5 acres. Going to have to think it through. I'd like to have pure bred chickens, and I found hatching eggs from a really nice lines. At the same time I don't want to give up what I have, since they are all my pets and super spoiled.
    I guess I need to figure out what to do with my boy.
    Sorry I'm rambling. Thanks for your help.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to set up a breeding pen. Just let everyone run together most of the time. When you're ready, pull the hens and rooster you want to hatch from into the breeding pen. You'll have to wait a good 2 weeks for the hens to clear out sperm from the other roosters, then start collecting eggs for hatching. Depending on how many hens you have, and how many eggs you want to incubate, your total time in the breeding pen should only be about 3 weeks for each incubation. Then put them back out with the main flock. The majority of the year it's not going to matter if your purebred hens are fertilized by any specific rooster, only when you're wanting to hatch.

6. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to note that myself and others have had fertility in a hen hold for 4 weeks, so I would not assume all eggs will be purebred after two weeks.

7. JadeKai

JadeKai New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Thank you. That's a good idea. :) If I get the eggs now I'll have plenty of time to nag my husband in to building me a pen. :) Except I want to get a lot of chickens. But I can always put my pet rooster in to the pen with a few hens so he is not lonely and keep the rest free range.

Bugglesmommy, thanks for the advice. I always thought it takes two weeks. I'll make sure to lock him up 4 weeks ahead of time, just to be sure. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by