What is my Silkie doing? She sits down when you walk by her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hennypenny99, Mar 12, 2012.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    One of my Silkie hens is doing something a little odd. When I walk by her or get close to her she sits down. A week or so before one of my other silkies went broody she would sit down when the rooster came around so she could breed. I'm not a rooster?! I don't even have any roosters anymore.

Anyone know why she is doing this? She usually would walk away from me so sitting down is unusual for her.

I have a little game hen I picked up at a flea market last year and she just went broody too and started sitting on ceramic eggs in the chicken coop. I had to go get her some fertilized blue cochin eggs from my father in law so she could hatch some babies.

Could my little sitting Silkie be trying to go broody?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

You are her rooster, she wants to breed- after a awhile as she is a slikie she will go broody after a set of eggs.

3. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Well shoot, I was worried that was what she was doing. I have a perfectly good chicken coop with a nice fenced yard but my silkies won't use it. Get this, they sleep in my car!! They go up under the tire and then hop up inside the front bumper and sleep at night. I guess they think its the perfect spot, warm and cozy. We never go anywhere at night but Saturday night we decided to go out to eat. I had to pop the hood and get the girls out and I even found an egg in there! If she does get broody I will have to give her some eggs to hatch out. I wish I had a silkie rooster.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's referred to as squatting, and it's a sign of submission and willingness to mate. It measn she's reaching sexual maturity and getting ready to lay. The squatting does not in itself mean she's going to go broody, but being a silkie gives her a high chance.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    First time I ever heard of a chicken roosting in the body of a car. Passenger compartment yes, on the car yes, not in the body. If she goes broody in the car she'll have the engine to help her keep things warm.

6. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Too bad you aren't closer..I have a silkie roo that I am trying to find a home for....

7. hennypenny99

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I wish I did live closer. I need a rooster. I had a beautiful blue one but something killed him. [​IMG] I am bidding on some eggs from cj's silkies right now. I sure hope I win it. I have never bid with backyardchickens.com before. I have bought some e-bay eggs but I am wanting a large batch of eggs to fill my incubator up with. Hopefully I can find a healthy little roo somewhere around here but if not I will hatch me one out. [​IMG]

I am worried about them roosting inside my car, especially since we just had daylight savings time and sprang forward. If I ever decide to get to work on time they might still be sleeping when I leave. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by