What is my silkie doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 2, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    These strange little silkies. Sometimes I think they are so smart, other times dumber than a box of rocks.
    But anyhow....I think both are laying now. I've never actually seen Ellie Mae in a nestbox (Jethro I have), but I'm getting too many eggs that I'm fairly certain are silkie eggs, so either Jethro is the world's best laying silkie or Ellie Mae is laying too.
    My question concerns Ellie Mae. She's hanging around the nestboxes alot; even when she doesn't need to lay an egg. She walks up and down the nestbox aisle for what seems like an hour, sometimes even trying to gain entry to the broody's locked crate.

What's up with that?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    She sounds a lot like my hen [​IMG] Every day, she would spend a few hours going in and out of her pot to admire her beautiful eggs...[​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Is your hen a silkie? Strange little birds.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I think when they are just starting they like to practice a bit. I know my young ones are spending a lot of time in and around the nest boxes even though no eggs seem to be forthcoming. It's kind of like playing house.
    They are strange little birds. Sweet, but strange. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, makes sense. Thanks CityGirl. [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You are very welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by