What is needed to protect a chicken run from foxes?

Justicedog

Crowing
11 Years
May 2, 2012
Maryland
I am reconstructing my run. I’ve had 9 years with no breaches just using just chicken wire. I’ve got 4 feet of hardware cloth to wrap around. The run is about 6-8 feet tall. I’m wondering about the roof and top part of the run. I’ve got some plastic - snow fence type fencing. I’m wondering if that would be safe for me to use for the roof.

Do fox climb?

They are the only thing we’ve seen in the yard. That and hawks.

Foxes can climb fences if you make the fence correctly at the top it won't b able to climb it, the idea is to have it curved over facing outwards at the top so the fox would literally have to climb upsidown to get over it, and the fence should be loose at the top so it moves about.

Just because you have only seen the fox and nothing else does not mean that's the only predator you have coming around.
Preditors survive by being stealthy and undetected.
I would use the snow fence for run cover against hawks.
The most important thing would be that your coop is locking the chickens in at night.
Your run sounds like it will be vulnerable to racoons possums and weasel.
Night time is always more dangerous for chickens as they have no night vision and freeze in place, making them an easy lunch.

Do you have an apron around the bottom of the fencing? Foxes are notorious for digging underneath.
Not yet, but it’s planned. We’ve put up the frame and the wire. We have the apron and ground border to do yet. I’m thinking of getting an automatic coop door. My husband and I are totally not cut out for this stuff. I need to find a handyman to be able to say I want this that and the other. Next time. 😀

Build it like you would build a aquarium ... waterproof! it needs a top and a wire apron around it and remember, while your building, that fox are not the predator that likes your fluffy nuggets for lunch

I’m thinking of getting an automatic coop door.
Some folks like them, but also with fluctuating light with the season's you must always be adjusting them or risk shutting chickens out all night.
For myself, I dont have a problem manually opening and shutting mine. I'm out ther dozens of times every day anyway.
My DH rigged up chicken doors from scrap board pieces, a couple pullies and strong nylon cord. I pull up and lower the doors from outside, so I dont even have to go inside to count beaks and say goodnight if I dont want to....Of course I want too!
If you want to see it. Pictures are on my coop page.

Back
Top Bottom