what is normal feather loss vs molting??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuchickontheblock, Jul 7, 2010.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I am wondering what is normal feather loss. I have 3 ameracaunas that are 9 months old that I have had for 2 months. Except for a few eggs from one pullet the first 5 days, we have not seen any eggs. The one that was laying, immediately started to lose feathers when we got her and I assumed that she was molting. She has now stopped losing her major feathers (large tail and wing feathers) for the past 3 weeks and never started laying again. Now I have another one who has started losing quite a few of her tail and wing feathers. Neither of them ever looked featherless or had bald patches, so I am unclear how many feathers should drop normally. I have picked up about 12 large and many small fluffy feathers in the past week that I know by color and observation are coming from the same girl. Would heat have anything to do with it? We've been having a heat wave the past week here in the northeast, but they are eating fine, have plenty of water and shade; and are acting normal.[​IMG]

I know that humans supposedly lose about 100 hairs each day, so I wondered about chickens???!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Thanks. Very helpful resources. I will be more observant of which feathers and when.
    [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It does sound like she may be molting. When mine molted, it was 3 1/2 months before they started laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by