1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

####What is NORMAL poop????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by keysfarmgirl, Mar 26, 2009.

1. keysfarmgirl

keysfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Florida Keys
    I have been having issues with sick and dead chickens. We keep hearing that you can tell if they are sick by their poop.
    What is NORMAL poop? Is it always supposed to look like "chicken terds" or is it a combination of terds sometimes and runny poopy stuff sometimes too??
    If they have runny poop sometimes does that automatically mean they are sick??
    I am confused and need some input from people who know poop.

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Somewhere on this board there is a photo section to answer this, but it was a while back. I have notices their "poo-look" depends on what I've fed them. If its grains only they look food-ish. If it was some fruits and veggies they get a little slimy. I've also seen what looks like giant bird poop (green and white). And all of my hens appear happy and healthy. I will say the veggie poo's do smell a lot more!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. keysfarmgirl

keysfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Florida Keys
    WOW!! The range of normal is huge, which is a really good thing. That means I haven't been seeing anything abnormal. That is a really good link. Thanks so much for posting it! I never thought I would be so happy to see pics of poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by