1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is NPIP Certification?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countyroad1330, Dec 18, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I see where lots of people say that they are NPIP Certified. What does that mean and how do you acquire it? Also, I know that in order to show my birds I have to have them pollurum tested (still haven't found someone to do that.) Does being NPIP Cert have something to do with that?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    It means that your flock has tested negative for Pullorum-Typhoid. Only birds 4 months of age and older can be tested. The testing is done by your state's Dept of Ag, in TN it's the the Animal Health division.

3. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    So if all of my birds are tested negative, does that make their chicks negative as well? And if so, is there any way I could pass on paper work for others who wish to show chicks they have got from me??

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I haven't had my birds tested yet so I don't know exactly what you get for it, but I did receive paperwork from one of the people I ordered eggs from indicating her operation was NPIP certified. I think it's supposed to give confidence to buyers that your flock is healthy and therefore the eggs or chicks they buy from you haven't been exposed to the diseases.

5. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it worth being tested? How likely are the birds to get it? I hate to call the locals to my flock. They are all pains in the $&#^@%, if you know what I mean?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Since pullorum and typhoid are only two of the many, many awful diseases chickens can contract, I think any value might be in the eyes of someone else buying your birds. I have no plans to get involved in any gov't testing of my flock.

7. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    The ONLY reason I care is because I want to show my birds. I'm pretty sure that anywhere in this state they have to be tested to be shown.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Some states have regulations to prevent disease being brought in from out of state or spread through shows and swaps. If people want to take their chickens to shows or swap meets there, they need to have been tested. If people want to sell in or to a state with regulations requiring testing, they need to be tested. If you don't participate in any of those activities, then you don't need to worry about it. It's not a requirement if you just want to have your own chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by