What is on her foot--picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ryanhodapp, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    does anyone know what is on her legs? I dont know how easy it is to see, but it looks raised, blistery, maybe? I cant pick her up, so I am not for sure. It is on her left leg more than the right.

Anyone? Thanks,

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hard to see, but perhaps look up "bumble foot".

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

leg scale mite damage ? [​IMG]

4. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    From what I just looked up, Bumblefoot appears to be on the bottom of the foot. This is on her lower leg and top of foot. I will keep looking.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    mmaddie's mom :

leg scale mite damage ? [​IMG]

That's what I was thinking. Put some Vaseline on her legs to smoother the mites.​

6. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    after looking at pictures, I agree, leg mites.

I have ED at home and I will dust everything. This chicken shares a coop with 3 others, should I treat all of them with vasoline?

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I would treat all... I had great luck with spray-on WD40... get's in all the cracks. I treated daily for 2 weeks @ bedtime... except on weekends (working) , then every other day.

8. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Today I applied the petro jelly and cleaned out all the litter from the coop. I went to feed store and bought the permithrin. I also found a bird vet who said that petro jelly on legs is wives tale and the bird needs Ivermectin. So I have an appt Thurs ($60 office visit). Should I go or try to self medicate first??

thanks

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:The jelly is not a wives tale - they were trying to get you to spend money. Don't take it to the vet for something as simple to treat as this! Save your money and time. The ivermectin will treat internal parasites. Another product you can use is Vet RX on her legs. It's about $8 and less messy than the vaseline jelly.

Here are some links to help you treat her:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33903

http://www.chickeneggspert.com/chicken-health/how-to-treat-scaly-leg-mites/24.asp

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Health/Dis/scaly.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  10. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    thats what I thought too, but I made the appt just in case she is not looking better by thursday and I wanted to read some more and get other peoples opinions on here.

Vet RX-do you just by the 2 oz creme looking stuff or the Qrt size and from where?

thanks,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by