What is on my babies legs pic attached

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lrayle, Feb 7, 2014.

1. lrayle

lrayle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    [​IMG]Both my girls have this on their feet and they pick it off Im not sure what it is but I have put vaseline on them One of them is having a hard time coming down steps Any ideas

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That looks like a really, really bad case of scaly leg mites. Vaseline is the right thing to do. Apply it daily and the Vaseline will smother the mites to death and help remove the dead scales. Poor babies :(

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Scaley leg mites. Keep putting the Vaseline on her feet and legs. They pull the scales off because of intense itching.

4. lrayle

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    Thank you! How do I get rid of mites My poor babies I want to help them and dont know what to do I feel like a bad mom please help

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Just keep putting Vaseline on them everyday. It smothers the mites.

6. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    This vaseline treatment may take a long time, sometimes months if it is really bad and it looks bad. I heard of a treatment option. Mix 2 tbsp of sulfur power with 1/2 cup of vaseline and apply daily for two weeks. If you use this let me know how it works. You can also soak the chickens feet in warm soapy water and get some of the mites loosened from under the scales of their legs. It doesn't cure it though. Sometimes in severe cases ivomec is put on the legs (maybe a drop or two from a eyedropper) and it kills them. BUT if you are not familiar with this treatment I wouldn't do it without seeking a vets advice. I would be sure to keep those affected away from the others. Me, I would treat them all!!! Also treat the coop. Theres a pretty good article on this site in the learning section.

1 person likes this.
  7. lrayle

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    does this affect their laying cause they have quit for like the past 2 weeks

8. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    Yup Painful and itches. Put yourself on the other side. Mites affect people too. Did you read that article on Chicken Chick or the one on Backyard Chickens?

9. umaerth

umaerth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Pullman, WA
    One of my roos had scaly mites really badly. We used an old-timey cure that cleared him of the mites in a month. We got him from a neighbor and he had scaly mites so badly one of his toes fell off. His feet were also permanently disfigured for the rest of his life. That being said, this cure works like a miracle and he got such relief from it he would coo while we soaked his feet.

Do this every night until their condition improves:

1) Soak their feet and legs in warm soapy water to soften the scales and drown the mites. Gently dry their legs, don't scrub or anything.

2) Make a dip of the following in a non plastic container
    - 2 parts linseed oil
    - 1 part kerosene

3) Dip their legs in the linseed/kerosene. Don't get it in their feathers. Dab dry with an old shop towel.

Also, during the day paint their nest boxes and perches with the kerosene/linseed oil. You will also have an infestation in the coop which will spread to other hens. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated environment, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by