what is on my chickens????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fordmommy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I just picked up my roo and was petting him and found little, skinny, brown bugs crawling in his neck feathers. What could this be? I pick him up a lot and have never found any thing like this. I resently started free ranging them so I figure that's were he got them. It doesn't really look like fleas. They are flat and soft and skinny. I am going to go out right now and springle down more DE. But I'd like some answers and any advice you can offer. I also figure that if one has them they all have them. Any body know??? Thanks.

Added....They are about this big...... ! ...minus the dot at the bottom and a little fatter.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. DWH

DWH Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Probably MOST LIKELY 99% a parasite. You know that though..... Did they have wings?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They are mostly lice or mites. Dust them with DE, or Sevin dust, and it will get rid of them.

4. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:No wings that I could see. They are about this big...... ! ...minus the dot at the bottom and a little fatter.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sounds like lice. Treat them all and the coop with seven dust. Take out all the bedding and nesting material and replace it with new stuff too.

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Don't forget to retreat in 7 to 10 days.

Those lice eggs hatch.

7. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I just cleaned out the coop yesterday. So we're good there. Not lice. I looked at a pic of that. Not white. Bigger. Looks almost like human lice maybe. [​IMG] Gross. We live in the country and no one comes over to give my chickens their lice. [​IMG] WE don't have them. I just want them gone. [​IMG] again. (Shutter) They didn't bite me either. [​IMG]

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I've heard of a wood lice thing that is supposed to look like that. Do you have shavings in your coop? I'd sift through them and check.

9. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    pips&peeps :

I've heard of a wood lice thing that is supposed to look like that. Do you have shavings in your coop? I'd sift through them and check.

Humm??? Maybe. And we live in the woods. And they were out in the woods.....Humm...you may be on to something.​

10. WOW, I have been looking at my flock. I did not know that these critters would only stay in the head area. So far, so good.

I do have a question though. Does your roo shake his head and how far down the poor guys neck do you see these

critters ?

I have had my share of problems this year, but lice, OH NO !!

Of course it is almost a given that some time during the flock's life that they will get some kind of critter.

Good Luck, let us all know what you did and how it turned out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by