What is one food that your chickens just will NOT eat?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, Sep 20, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    With my birds, it's carrots. Don't know why but of some 40+ birds not a single one of them will touch carrots. It was funny last week when my mom had left over soup and gave it to me and told me to give it to my chickens. It was fully of carrots, potatoes, green beans, etc, and I brought it outside and poured it on the grass near the coop. Well they all came running for it, and they tore into it. When they finally stepped back my grass was littered with carrots, tons of them. Not a single bird touched the carrots! And if you hold food out to them, they will grab it and devour it, but hold out a carrot and they eyeball it, and then eyeball you like you're playing with them and hiding the real food. Does anyone else have birds that have a food they just will NOT eat?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Nothing so far. My birds are stepford chickens. They eat what I give them, they lay like clockwork, they follow me around making soft noises and they back off when I glare at them [​IMG]

3. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Quote:That is too funny. I could glare at my birds all the way into next week and they wouldn't care. If I had food for me, they would still steal it. My little Sebright mix roo Pepsi will jump up INTO my food if I don't watch him closely. Though I do find them to be a good way to diet. If I go out by them with food it's like one bite for me, three bites for them. I eat less, they get yummy treats, and in the end I still get eggs. It's a win win situation. Unless I go out there with carrots... [​IMG]

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Popcorn. My chickens look at it and then look at me as if to say, What's this #%@*! Where's the good stuff?

5. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG]
    Ummm.....
    Seems to be cucumber
    It has been out for 5 hrs and they won't touch it [​IMG]

6. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    cooked peas

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    shaved raw carrots, but put yogurt out
    and they will knock you over getting to it. and
    their favorite French vanilla.not cherry not strawberry
    but vanilla , fussy feathers being raised here. [​IMG]

8. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    bananas [​IMG]

9. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    banana PEELS .... the banana flesh they will eat, but leave the peels.

10. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I had a pet hen that hated tomato worms. All the other chickens thought they were a delicious treat so I gave Abby one. She took one bite and spent the next 20 minutes wiping her beak on the grass and giving me dirty looks. And I thought I was doing her a favor...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by