What is our mystery chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mossicle, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mossicle

mossicle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi all. We are new to chickens and new to BYC. We recently got our first 4 chicks from Meyer. Our original order was for 2 barred rock females and a buff orpington female. Much to our surprise, our package arrived with 4 little ones cheeping and peeping. They are now a month old and nearly feathered out. Thanks to all the great information from BYC members we think we have determined that one of the barred rocks is a cockerel which we assumed was the extra "packing peanut" from Meyer. However what should have been the other barred rock pullet never got her stripes. Does anybody have any ideas what she could be? Our guess is black sex link, but since we have only been chicken parents for 1 month, we are no experts.

3 weeks old (bottom right)
    [​IMG]

4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG]

Is it feathering in solid black? If it's feathering in solid black then I'm thinking it's an Australorp. If it's got any red coming in around the neck/breast than it is indeed a Black Sexlink. [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you post pics of the others as well?

what type of comb does it have? im thinking its an assuie

4. mossicle

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry it took me a few days to get some more pictures. Here is our small flock at 5 weeks:

[​IMG]

Again, I think we have pretty well decided one of the Barred Rocks is a roo. But we aren't sure about the mystery all black chick that shipped as an extra to us from Meyer. Hopefully these pics can help yall help us figure it out.

[​IMG]

Her feet look yellow to me... Jersey Giant?
    [​IMG]

5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you're right about Jersey Giant. I'm going to guess pullet, but it might take a few more weeks before you can be sure.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Feet look pink to me. I think it's an Australorp pullet.

Neither of your barred rocks are boys. Both are girls. That colouring is too dark.

[​IMG]
    Cockerels are light like the one on the left here. Pullets are dark like the one on the right.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Why do you think one of your BR's is a roo? I agree with the previous post; its coloring looks female. Does it have a big comb/wattles? If it does, then it might be a black sex-link roo - I think they can be dark. Your black chick looks a lot like my supposed Giant at that age. But she had pink foot-bottoms, so she may have been an australorp. Hard to tell with hatchery birds sometimes. In any case, you have a very pretty flock! I didn't know that Meyer shipped such small batches [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i see all pullets and a black assuie....yuour buff appears more white with yellowing on my computer...are her legs white or some other color?

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They look yellow on my screen by the very first picture on this thread.

10. mossicle

Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you all for the help! The roo? in question has always held him/herself differently. More upright. And feathered out a little bit slower. Here is a picture of his/her comb compared to the other Barred Rock.

Roo?
    [​IMG]

Pullet
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping we are wrong since our neighborhood won't allow roosters and we have grown quite attached.

Our buff is still a little white. Is that a bad thing?

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the great information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by