what is penny?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BellsCluckers, Oct 14, 2015.

1. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    She is half the size of an adult silkie bantam roo. Smaller than my chicks who are 3 months. Wondering if she is some kind of Serama or OEGB. What do you guys think??

2. BellsCluckers

Apr 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BellsCluckers

Apr 21, 2015
    On another note I hatched a bunch of my chickens eggs. They are all barnyard mixes all with my Black Australorp Rooster. Robo is one of his offspring from this year. His mother was a Chantecler x BO. To me he looks like a gold lace wyandotte roo but with a pea comb / curshion comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think Penny is a cute mixed breed. I believe I'm seeing a rose comb? Not sure if there's a bantam breed with that comb, clean legs and that nice fluffy feathering. The fluff makes me think Cochin, but that would have feathered legs and straight comb. Serama and games both are close feathered and leaner, Serama especially are very upright built birds. I'm not sure what else she could have in her, we'll see what the bantam folks come up with. She's adorable, whatever she is [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Penny is an adorable mix I think - looks like a mini cochin + something else. Just love her regardless[​IMG]

6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Agreed, some type of Cochin. Very pretty.

7. BellsCluckers

Apr 21, 2015
    Thanks... She is a lap bird. Any thoughts on Robo? The large rooster?

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I thought you hatched Robo from your own eggs and knew what mix he was?

9. BellsCluckers

Apr 21, 2015
    Yes, I know what he is but I guess it's just not what I thought he would look like. Maybe the mother hen really had more than just those two mixes. Does anyone know what specific birds you have to breed in order to get a gold lace wayandotte?

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    To get a gold laced Wyandotte, you have to breed two Wyandottes. An animal can only be a breed if both parents are that same breed.

Here's where you need to differentiate color from breed. Just as all black dogs aren't Labs, all gold laced birds aren't Wyandottes. He has the gold laced color, but his body shape is not that of a Wyandotte.

Do you have a pic of his mother? Is her breeding for sure, or a best guess based on her looks/type? I'm not as familiar with lacing genetics as I am with barring, so I'm not sure what background could contribute to that reasonable crisp lacing he has if neither parent was visually laced. I do know the buff genes can wreck merry havoc on a lot of other colors, though, so maybe that's a contributing factor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by