What is pip, lock down and other jargon?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by llrumsey, Apr 30, 2011.

1. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I am really learning lot, even though I have had chickens for 5 years, I have just let them do their own thing, but now I'm going to go for it!! But I do need some help.

What is pip, people talk about the chicks pipping before they zip? Would someone please explain to mean the term that everyone is using? I would really appreciate it.

As I sit here at my computer I just heard peeping from my incubator, I didnt know that I had any that was do. I have tried to candle the eggs (that I do understand) but they are brown eggs so not much luck.

Can I try floating the eggs to see which ones are alive or is it to late since I heard the peep?

thanks so much LaNell:oops::idunno

2. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    A pip is the very first break through, as I understand it. I would not touch the eggs since they are making noises, if one has put just a little hole or crack in the shell, you may drown it if you put it in water.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I NEVER "float" eggs.

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    pipping is when the bird cracks the shell with its beak...Zipping is when they start to hatch and go all the way around the shell makeing it so the top can come off...peep is the sound the chicks make...

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    and I would NEVER float an egg either

6. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    thank you for the quick replys, I saw on another link that some use an ice chest when they have eggs hatching at different times, which do you put into the ice chest? the eggs that are hatching or the ones that still need time to go. Being financially deprived I have to do the best I can with what I have and I really like the idea of the ice chest. How do you regulate the temp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by