What is qualified to have a show quality chicken?

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
hi. i have never been to a chicken show before. i have been thinking about it. i am wondering what is qualified?
if i ever went to a show, i would take my favorite roo, Hats.

ho poses for pics when he can see the camera. what do you think? is he show quality?i don't know anything on chicken shows, so info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad you have an interest in exhibiting your bird in a sanctioned show. To breed and show exhibition quality birds requires that you read and understand the Standard for your breed. This is a written, highly detailed description of the breed and it is this standard against your bird will be judged. This standard is found in the Standard of Perfection of the APA or in the breed standards of the American Bantam Association. You should read and study this, judging your own bird against the standard.

To enter a bird, you'll have to have it tested by the NPIP for a clean bill of health. When you register your bird for a show, you'll have to provide evidence this testing.

There is no "roo" category. That is considered baby talk slang in the poultry world. The choice will be enter him as a cockerel (K) if he is under a year old, or as a cock (C) if he is older than a year. Females are entered either as pullets or hens.

The cost to coop him in typically $3 per coop. The various shows are usually advertised by the various breed clubs, as breed club sponsor these shows. PoultryShowCentral is your source for shows, show dates, and has lots of tutorials on preparing your bird for show and what to expect at a show.

Hope this helps.

If you are a kid and join the 4H or FFA, you can enter your birds in the county fair.

Last edited:
I'm glad you have an interest in exhibiting your bird in a sanctioned show. To breed and show exhibition quality birds requires that you read and understand the Standard for your breed. This is a written, highly detailed description of the breed and it is this standard against your bird will be judged. This standard is found in the Standard of Perfection of the APA or in the breed standards of the American Bantam Association. You should read and study this, judging your own bird against the standard.

To enter a bird, you'll have to have it tested by the NPIP for a clean bill of health. When you register your bird for a show, you'll have to provide evidence this testing.

There is no "roo" category. That is considered baby talk slang in the poultry world. The choice will be enter him as a cockerel (K) if he is under a year old, or as a cock (C) if he is older than a year. Females are entered either as pullets or hens.

The cost to coop him in typically $3 per coop. The various shows are usually advertised by the various breed clubs, as breed club sponsor these shows. PoultryShowCentral is your source for shows, show dates, and has lots of tutorials on preparing your bird for show and what to expect at a show.

Hope this helps.
thanks!

If you're a kid, you can also join the APA or ABA and or the breed club of your favorites. You can also enter and show in Junior sanctioned shows right along side the adults.

Actually, there is no age requirement at open, sanctioned shows. My grandson enters with me right on the main floor.

wow!

Back
Top Bottom