What is scaring my hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BBB Becky, Apr 18, 2017.

1. BBB Becky

BBB Becky Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2016
    Georgetown, MA
    Around four o'clock in the afternoon, my chickens go into a panic (not everyday). We are near the woods but could this be a hawk or an owl. I checked
    everywhere for any animals. Today, they actually ran into the coop in a complete panic, Any ideas?

2. izzybe3

izzybe3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    do you have snakes near you???

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Predators can easily keep themselves concealed from you...it's great that your chickens are so observant and cautious. What breed(s) are they? Some breeds are better at noticing/avoiding predators than others...
    Good luck....

4. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    It's amazing how chickens can detect a predator that we never see. could be a hawk in a tree, look closely among the branches.

5. BBB Becky

Nov 15, 2016
    Georgetown, MA
    Not really, just garter snakes about 12 inches long. I can't figure it out. Any more ideas?

6. BBB Becky

Nov 15, 2016
    Georgetown, MA
    I thought maybe a hawk or owl. I will watch for it better tomorrow.

7. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I actually have a bull horn that has a siren on it, when I see a hawk I run toward it with the siren on. I hope no one ever sees me doing that.

8. izzybe3

izzybe3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Erwin ,TN
    well garter snakes scare my chickens...and i found a rattle snake in my yard .....good luck finding out

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I know that prime hawk hunting times are mid morning and again late afternoon. I'd say you most likely have a hawk that is looking for some nuggets, but it could be anything. Do you have a covered run? If so, you could put them in the run before that time. You might also want to be listening for the tell tale screech of the hawk. They let me know they are around my yard! If I let my birds out to range, the hawks will show up within 10 minutes, looking for a free meal.

10. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Could be an owl or a hawk, we had the same problem last year and so we put up some fake crows and an owl right on top of the coop and ever since then i havent seen any hawks or owls near our lil' chicken coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by