1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is she doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenacers, Dec 26, 2011.

1. greenacers

greenacers New Egg

Dec 26, 2011
    Merry Christmas Everyone! I am new at this, so please be patient with me. I have 9 hens, and for the last 4 days one has been just laying in box where they lay their eggs. I have not seen her come out at all. I am positive I have no rosters. Can someone please tell me what she's doing?

2. karenkensek

karenkensek Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    brooding

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    She probably is brooding. I had a jersey giant do that - with no rooster in the flock. I had to physically take her out of the nesting box repeatedly until she got over the urge. I've decided, though, that if I have a hen do that again, I'll get some fertilized eggs to put under her.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    she's gone broody in hopes of hatching out some eggs. Next week buy her some chicks from the feedstore... put them under at night. She'll most likely start mothering them.

5. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    She is broody-You do not need a rooster for them to think that they will hatch infertile eggs. Sometimes they will sit on anything or nothing. I had a silkie that tried to incubate a big piece of poo [​IMG]

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Quote:Yes, sounds like she's broody.

7. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I agree with the rest of the posters that it sounds like she is broody. If this is something you don't want her to do (sit on the nest all the time in futility), there are things you can do to 'break' broodiness. SOme place the hen in a cage that is open to the air on the bottom to cool her bottom. I typically will slip a zippy bag with some ice cubes (3-4) under her at night. Usually only takes a night or two to cool her jets!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

Normal layer:

[​IMG]

Broody:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010