What is she? I was told black Maran?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Karridoll, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Karridoll

Karridoll In the Brooder

May 2, 2019
    EF004CF7-8B4E-4871-B3B8-493ECE6D31DE.jpeg 754AB407-BEFA-42FC-90B9-D4BA90601CDF.jpeg I got a few girls from my husbands buddy and this pullet was identified as a black Maran. Doesn’t seem right to me with those white feathers. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    WhoDatChick and Futuregreenefarm like this.
  2. WhoDatChick

WhoDatChick Free Ranging

Sep 6, 2018
    Nawlins, Louisiana
    Maybe a black Australorp... mine had white wing tips.. could just be something on blacks :confused:.. cuz my little black Cochins have it too..

Karridoll likes this.
  3. blackoaktammy

blackoaktammy In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2019
    Millers, MD
    I have a similar looking hen and was told to look at the bottoms of her feet. If they are greenish, which my hen is, in is a Jersey Giant.

Karridoll likes this.
  4. Cingratz

Cingratz Chirping

May 9, 2016
    Scone,Ontario
    Does she have teal in her feathers?

5. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    I have a hen that looks just like this, and I was told that she was a Maran.

Compost King likes this.
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Marans and Australorp have white skin so bottom of feet will be white/pink. Jersey Giants have yellow skin so bottoms of feet will be yellow.

We say bottoms of feet as many times these breeds have overwhelming slate legs making quick identification difficult- need to look at feet.

ChooksNQuilts and Karridoll like this.
  7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The white should molt out by adulthood.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  8. Futuregreenefarm

Futuregreenefarm Chirping

May 9, 2019
    Epworth, GA
    I have a pullet very similar looking but she is a mix. However I think there is maran mixed in her. She has the white tipped wings also but she is now having red bleed through on her neck. She is about 10 weeks old.

9. Futuregreenefarm

Futuregreenefarm Chirping

May 9, 2019
    Epworth, GA
    Just wondering...How long before they stop molting regularly and grow out their adult colors? I have 10 week olds that just went through a molt and gained new colors. When will they settle in to their adult patterns?

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Basically when laying they are done with the constant mini molts of growing out. They don't change much after. True color, birds with patterns, won't show complete until after first adult molt following fall.

By that I mean if a silver bird has some brown hue it may lighten/be silver after first adult molt or vise versa. Little things can change with pattern birds. Best breeders can't be fully evaluated with them until after 1.5 years, that first adult molt. Solid color birds don't change really. What they are at laying age is what they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: