what is she thinking

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by piecemaker, Jul 15, 2010.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I try not to complain much but I need to now......

I make Demin rag quilts they are bigger than a throw but smaller than a twin size. I sell them for $125. So any way Mary (not real name) was given one of my quilts for CHRISTmas last year. She called and order 2 quilts as gifts for CHRISTmas this year. Told her they were $125 each. In the mean time she has called to say she picked up a few pieces of denim at sales for me. Wanted to know if she found denim at garage sells would I be willing to take off money on her 2 quilts. I told her NO because 1) I have all the denim I can use 2)at $125 I am not making any money on the quilts. Always told her thank you for thinking about me though and if she wanted to donate old denim that would be ok. I have more denim than I could use up in years. So today she calls and said she would be in my area, she lives about 100 miles away could she bring some denim by. Told her yes and when she shows up there are atleast 15 trash bags of denim in her car!!!!!! As my son is getting the bags out of her car she is telling what she wants me to put on the name tag all my quilts get. When the bags are out of her car she gets in her car and says "I spent about $100 on that denim so I thought you could make one of my quilts for free" and goes down the road as I stand there just dumb founded.

How do people think like that? I have told her several time I can't take any money off the price of my quilts for any reason, I am not making any money as it is. Thoses that do any crafts will under stand that. I work full time and make quilts because I like doing it and PLUS with money being what it is I like having that little extra spending money. This lady can afford the $125 I just don't under stand this. Please help how do I handle this???????????????

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I would tell her again and then give her 30 days, in writing, to come and get her items or else you will donate them.

I had a lady in the store today who wanted to trade in some items for another more expensive item. I told her how much I would give her in trade. Then she was all well how much would you give me in cash. I was dumbfounded. I told her, "I've told you before, I'm not in a position to pay cash. I will gladly trade for store credit, but it's not in the budget to buy outright."

She then spent another solid 15 minutes trying to bargain for less and less cash. I repeatedly told her. I do not have the capital to pay for items. It was ridiculous.

No means NO!!!

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Wow. What nerve.
    I don't know how I would handle that but perhaps you should contact her immediately before she feels that enough time has passed to imply that you were in agreement. If she still wants the quilts I would have her send a non-refundable deposit for EACH one (meaning that one deposit will not apply to the other quilt in the event she changes her mind and decides only to take one).

4. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Tell her that you are still requiring the $125 for the quilt.She was rude, bartering is now ok when the other party isn't happy. I can't go to the store with my homemade soap and expect them to give me things in return, it just doesn't work that way.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    So if I send you some denim, will you make me a quilt for free?

Just Kidding! You want me to teepee her house?

6. charmed one

charmed one Show Me State Gal

When you say she was given a quilt for Christmas....was it from you or someone else? Just trying to figure out what kind of relationship you have with her. That is going to tell how to handle this I think.

The only thing you can do is just be up front and honest with her. Don't let her actions dictate what you do. Some people are just not raised right, I think. Lol! [​IMG]

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:she'll do it too. She's like that.

8. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Charge her $250.00 for one. Tell her you're throwing the other one in for free. [​IMG]

Seriously tho', tell her the truth..(again). 1) how much time you put into your work.... 2) you didn't need the extra denim. (but thanks anyway) ..3) The price is firm.

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would send her a certified letter stating the cost of the quilts, and that the donated denim was unwanted and is a nuisance and she has 30 days to claim or it will all be donated to a charity. That way she can't claim you agreed or was in any way willing to agree to her bulling tactics. Keep a copy for yourself with all the postage details that the post office will give you for proof. I too make quilts and 125 for a labor of love is not asking to much.

You could always tell her that if she can't listen, then the price of each quilt is now 300.00, and you could give her a discount of a 100. on each quilt. You will need the extra 100 just because she is annoying. She might go for it since what she really wants is a bargain not a quilt. [​IMG]

10. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:A lady I go to church with bought a quilt from me to give to Mary for CHRISTmas last year. Until I talked to Mary on the phone I had never met her. The thing is she can easly afford the $125 and seems to be a very nice little old lady.

scbatz33 Teepeeing is not what I had in mind. If you come with the denim and paint the top levels my 4 level house while I sew we may be able to work some thing out. I am not above an agreed apon barder.

piecemaker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by