What is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Turkeyface2350, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Turkeyface2350

Turkeyface2350 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    South Australia
    When we bought her we were told she is a silkie cross. She's got the silkie toes (5) and feathered feet. She also has the brooding instinct. Any clues? [​IMG]
    She's currently on eggs (and a chick) so this is the only worthwhile picture I've got.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    She could be a Cochin-Silkie cross, as those are common. She appears to have softer, round feathers like a Cochin. If you hadn't said 5 toes, I'd be guessing bantam Cochin.

However, not enough is seeable in the photo for careful bird identification.

And at the angle shown, she doesn't look particularly Silkie-ish to me nor particularly Silkie cross. It is possible she is a cross of a cross.

The 5 toes could be an indicator for Silkie, however, I'd expect darker facial skin if the Silkie blood is close back.

Dorkings also have 5 toes, So do Salmon Favorelles. Does she have any apperance of a beard?

My thoughts until you are able to get better photos, which we need for any good breed guessing. Full profile.

LofMc

PS: Good luck on her hatch :D

3. Turkeyface2350

Jan 26, 2016
    South Australia
    Thank you.
    Yeah she didn't look very silkyish at all when we got her. She lays medium/small white eggs if that helps. Also no beard. Her first 2 babies have hatched and we are all very excited.
    [​IMG]
    This is an older picture of her

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    doesn't look silkie at all to me. What is the father of her chicks? Would love to see what the babies look like (especially colors & feather type)

5. Turkeyface2350

Jan 26, 2016
    South Australia
    Father is a black silkie. Some of her eggs were laid by my black australorps so I'm not sure which ones are hers just yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Crow the silkie rooster.
    [​IMG]
    This is chick one. Chick 2 is pretty much identical besides having a white tummy. Noticed that chick 1 has fused 4th and 5th toes on one foot. Is this normal? This is my first hatching so the photos are a little blurry due to shaking

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If she is Silkie cross I'd say she is less than 50% Silkie.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree with Gray Farms....if there is Silkie, it is far back. And like I said. Other things can give 5 toes.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by