What is she??/

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erin0415, Apr 23, 2008.

1. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    I'm trying to find out what kind of chick the black and white one is. She's about a week old in this pic, she's now about 4 weeks. Her feathers are very distinctly solid black and solid white. I will take a better current pic to show. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I am not sure. When you say her feathers are disticly white and black, are they in the same pattern as the picture?

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    looks exactli like one of my exchequer leghorn chicks.

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I have one just like it. Got him from the bantum bin at local feed store who orders from Ideal. He feathered out black and white just like the markings. Don't know what he is though.

5. king2

king2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    GA
    you could look up mottled oegb. It looks like my baby mottled chicks

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

What color legs does it have?

7. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Yellow legs with a few dark spots (very small spots). I'm thinking she is a ancona. She looks like the pics that I have seen of the chicks and the juveniles. Here is a more recent (poor quality) pic of her at about 4 or 5 weeks.
    [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Whatever she is...she is adorable! Hope someone can tell you what she is...sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'm lucky to be able to tell a cochin form a silkie yet!

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I guess you have to wait until its fully grown and gets its adult plummage before you can tell if its an Ancona or an Exchequer Leghorn, chicks and Juvies look the same with both, but as an adult, if the white is in even little doys on the bird its and Ancona, if it has no certain pattern of white its a leghorn.

Anyhow here is a pic of Exchquer chicks one of my broodies hatched from my stock. Oh, and the one has a pink bum because I thought the BrownXExchequer chicks would look similar to the Excheqs, so I wanted to be sure I know who the purebreds are......but the crosses are the all black chicks. Not the best pic, but they kept dissapearing under mommy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Are these bantum size? I have one that is marked exactally like these pictured from our local feed store who ordered mixed bantums from Ideal. He has a good sized single comb. Might he be an Echquer also?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by