1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Slinkee, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Slinkee

Slinkee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    So, everyone here was so helpful in figuring out my last post I'm hoping for a little more of everyone's brilliant insight. We now have a 2 1/2 week old "barred rock" hen that is solid black and has feathered feet. In other words....I have no idea what the heck she is. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm, could be a black cochin pullet...

3. Slinkee

Slinkee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. :( Oh well....we got her for the kids because they wanted to keep a black chick. At least she'll look different even if they don't lay well. Thanks for the input!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know cochins don't have a stellar reputation for laying, but my bantam cochins lay pretty well. And she'll be the prettiest bird in your flock!

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, I also know some Black Cochins who lay pretty well, don't worry too much about it and maybe she'll surprise you.

6. dasharoundfarmn

dasharoundfarmn Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Trinity, NC
    One of the best sitting hens that I ever had was a buff cochin. We use to put other chickens eggs in her nest and she would hatch them out. I wish I could find another hen just like her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by