1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is "SQUATTING"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elabraleon, Jan 25, 2011.

1. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    [​IMG] seriously, I havent a clue what to look for. [​IMG]

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    You'll know it when you see it. Mine will stomp their feet quickly, do a few head twitches, bow their backs, lift their tails, and then they'll space their wings out. Do a little pat on the a back and then they'll stand up and fluff themselves.

3. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I refer to one of my hens as my trampy little stalker...I can't even make contact with her without her squatting.

4. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    One of my will scratch a my feet and peck my legs until I pet her. As soon as I start to bend over, she squats and spreads her wings for me. She loves attention...

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When they are at the age that they are ready to lay they may hunker down when you go to pet them. They see you as a rooster ready to get cozy. I say that they may squat, because my EEs never did, even though my BO and BR have and do.

6. elabraleon

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    OH, my friend's barred rock did this when I was in her pen petting her once. Right before she started laying. I thought she was just being friendly and submissive. didn't realize it had to do with mating behavior. hmmm. So far I haven't seen my chickens do this, although it looks like someones been hanging out in the nesting box- the shavings are all flattened in the middle. Should be within the next several weeks. I think they're 18 or 19 weeks now. [​IMG]

7. elabraleon

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. marcumbackyardfarms

marcumbackyardfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Russellville
    Usually it's a good sign that they are about to lay but I have a BO that lays almost every day and has never once squatted? All of the rest of them do. I've had one that squatted for an entire month before she started laying. Some of them are really funny about it. They'll run in front of you just to stomp those feet and squat.

9. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    They put their legs apart and spread their wings but still folded - almost like they're hot - and they hunker down and bow their head down and stay still. Like someone else said, if you give 'em a bit of a pat they get all happy and do a ruffle dance, or as I call it, the cigarette dance.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

My biggest girl started that yesterday and I know exactly what you mean! I almost handed her one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by