What is stink-eye?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarkerChickens, Apr 4, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I seen it mentioned quite a few times and I know it relates to the ugly look that roos give people...BUT, what is it exactly and how is it different from the ugly look that hens can give when they are moody? I have a few chicks that give the ugly look that may be stink-eye. Does that mean they might be roos?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Gosh NO it doesn't mean they are roos. I have one chicken that regularly gives me stink eye when I pick her up. Their eyes get brighter, their lids go down and I swear they are lifting one eyebrow at me. [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Good! Then I still have hope that one my little Buckeye's turns out to be a hen! [​IMG] This chick is friendly and VERY curious...definitely one that I think will make a great addition to our flock. Then again, if it turns out to be a roo...maybe we'll just have to keep it anyway! [​IMG]

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Stinkeye:
    the look in the eyes of one's spouse or partner when one has overindulged the chili.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I think of it as an evil eye...but the chilly look (chili) is good, too!
    [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Both my 2 year old granddaughters give me the stink-eye when I tell them no and neither of them are roosters!! [​IMG]

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband gave me the stink-eye when I first mentioned ducks, lol.
    Let me add that I have caught him many times in the act of "quacking" and talking to the little boogers since we have had them, lol.

8. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: DH got a good laugh too!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] or as my hubby would call it the fish eye!

10. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Now that I think about it, I think I have seen the stink eye! It was the day we brought home 49 chicks and I told DH that I am going to pick up 3 Welsummer pullets at the end of April. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by