1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is that freaky noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JerseyHen, Feb 5, 2012.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    My neighbor asked me what the freaky noise was last night. I think it was the sound of one of my roosters crowing distorted by the coop, their new windows, and the 100 yards of distance.

So, I have 3 dark brahma roosters that were all supposed to be hens, they are about 9 month old and I didn't have the heart to re-home or process them.

They seem to crow all day and night. I can understand some of the crows:
    • We survived the night, in your face foxes!
    • Ooh, Ooh, Ooh, is that warm oatmeal?
    • She's mine, I said she's mine!
    • Ooh, Ooh, Ooh, here is something tasty!
    • My girls laid another egg! Woohoo!
    • This is my yard, don't even think about it!
    • Did you see that game last night?

But what is going on with the night crowing? Is light from a passing car a rooster version of "punch buggy"? Is is a rooster nightmare? Is he scolding the rest of the flock for fidgeting? Talking in his sleep?

Seriously though, I need to figure it out and try to shut him up or I will have to make soup out of him. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Is there any light getting into the coop? And I do mean any light. Mine starts crowing when I turn the back deck light on around 4:30 AM. Thank goodness my neighbors aren't bothered or just don't hear them. They usually shut up once I turn the light back out.

3. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ

The coop window is not facing the main road, so the only way light would get in there is if my neighbor pulls in and out of his driveway after dark. I will have to start paying attention to when they are in and out and if it correllates to the crowing. How would I fix that? Blackout shade?

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    You would have to totally blackout the coop.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I feel ya. I have 11 roosters in my flock right now. There's a lot of crowing going on, and a surprising amount of it during hours of darkness. Within a few minutes on either side of midnight, every single night, my dominant rooster starts up the chorus. Then again around 3 or 3:30 AM.

ANY sound or "new" light in the night gets Carl to crowing a message along the lines of: "Hey, Danger, go away! I'm here to protect my flock!" The chorus is for the other roos to chime in, "We're here, too! You haven't a chance!"

Then there's also the "SHUT UP" crow (which is ironic). My ducks and geese are housed in the coop at night. They don't sleep all night, but get up to move around quite a bit. Ducks just have to talk together all the time. They bump a goose, who honks with surprise and/or "Stop that!" warnings. Carl will then crow, and so will the roo chorus.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    [​IMG] That made me chuckle out loud. I just got this complete visual of your birds, having the evening rounds of rooster and duck chorals. I can't imagine 11 roosters. Want 3 more?

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR

x 2 - I have motion detector flood lights in the backyard, so when the dogs go outside at night, my little d'uccle would start up. I rehomed him because he crowed at any light. 3AM isn't a great time for a rooster to crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by