1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is that mental "illness" that makes a person

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    hurt their child to bring attention to themselves??

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Munch housin by proxie ( I know it's spelled wrong--it's how it sounds too me...).....

AND NO I DON'T HAVE IT....

3. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Munchousen syndrome. I know I spelled that wrong but that what it is called.

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I think Munchausens' is when you hurt/sicken yourself for attention. I think Munchausen's by proxy is when you cause another to be hurt/ill to bring the attention to yourself. I'm not sure-- but I think that's it.

Edited to say: I hope you're asking a hypothetical question, but if you're not-- please see that the person you're concerned about gets the help they need.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    This might sound terrible but

My sister is a hypochondriac(sp) and I have to admit that I am concerned about her with the baby coming soon.
    I can tell you though. I am not going to be the one standing there saying "I never saw _______ coming."

During her first trimester she and I used the same obgyn. When I saw the ob last December she asked about my sister and then told me to "keep an eye on her" after the baby was born. I know that my sister, who is OCD is going to have a tough time of this as it is. But I also know that she HAS to always be the center of attention. Always has been this way. And that when she has this baby she wont be the CENTER of attention anymore.
    The baby is due next week. And she has been having panic attacks for the last few weeks over the birth and delivery. Gods help her if she needs a c sect [​IMG]
    Luckily she has a wonderful dh. And my mom lives the next town over from her. But I am just hoping that they can take the steps that might be needed to help her, if they do arise. She has always been the "baby" and I am afraid they might just try to coddle it away and not get her the help she might end up needing. Dont get me wrong. I am hoping that she falls into being "mom" with little to no problems. But we are talking about someone that has to have the salt/pepper shakers "exact" and all the cans of soup etc facing the same way etc. Add the "princess/queen" of her personality and then the fact that she seems to have NO CLUE what she is in for. Sure she baby sat. But those kids go home at the end of the "day" They arent with you 24/7
    And I am having a hard time thinking that this is going to be "healthy" for her and the baby. I suffered minimal PPD after the birth of my daughter, but I recognized it and worked through it. I dont think she or her dh will

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Once the baby is born, she needs treatment for her OCD or that baby is going to grow up neurotic as all get out AT BEST. The doc already signaled to you he fears WORSE.

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

This might sound terrible but

My sister is a hypochondriac(sp) and I have to admit that I am concerned about her with the baby coming soon.
    I can tell you though. I am not going to be the one standing there saying "I never saw _______ coming."

During her first trimester she and I used the same obgyn. When I saw the ob last December she asked about my sister and then told me to "keep an eye on her" after the baby was born. I know that my sister, who is OCD is going to have a tough time of this as it is. But I also know that she HAS to always be the center of attention. Always has been this way. And that when she has this baby she wont be the CENTER of attention anymore.
    The baby is due next week. And she has been having panic attacks for the last few weeks over the birth and delivery. Gods help her if she needs a c sect [​IMG]
    Luckily she has a wonderful dh. And my mom lives the next town over from her. But I am just hoping that they can take the steps that might be needed to help her, if they do arise. She has always been the "baby" and I am afraid they might just try to coddle it away and not get her the help she might end up needing. Dont get me wrong. I am hoping that she falls into being "mom" with little to no problems. But we are talking about someone that has to have the salt/pepper shakers "exact" and all the cans of soup etc facing the same way etc. Add the "princess/queen" of her personality and then the fact that she seems to have NO CLUE what she is in for. Sure she baby sat. But those kids go home at the end of the "day" They arent with you 24/7
    And I am having a hard time thinking that this is going to be "healthy" for her and the baby. I suffered minimal PPD after the birth of my daughter, but I recognized it and worked through it. I dont think she or her dh will

It sounds like you're aware of what could happen, and that's good. Since you and the OB have a relationship too, and he's aware of the possibilities, I'd urge HIM to keep lines of communication open with her chosen Pediatrician, and he (OB) should follow up with her internist/family doctor too-- since he's concerned, just to be sure that she's got all the supportive care she needs-- and that may be all she'll need to settle into mommyhood-- a good support system to fall back on when times are tough.

Wishing you all the best of luck [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am really glad you are already aware of the problems she has. Just please keep your eyes open. One of my cousins is bi-polar and has OCD. First she had a little boy...spent years treating him "strange" (feeding only certain foods like one brand of bacon and nothing else for months at a time) then one day just "lost" him. Turns out she actually left him with her ex-in laws in New York, but she had no clue where he was. Next she had a little girl. When the baby was about 6 months old her mother (my Aunt) found her lying in the floor of her apartment with her wrists cut, holding her blood splattered baby. PPD is bad (and real) enough (as it looks like you know) without the pr-existing conditions. I would be very careful!!! Good luck!!!!

10. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    okay call me mean but....why do these people have children? this kindof disease can be inherited right? Why torment your children and pass it on?
    Maybe she should have adopted a cat or something. Does the husband see what he is in store for? My mom suffers from mental health issues due to her severe abuse by several different men as a child. What a messed up life I had! None of my siblings are okay NONE. there were 7 kids in my family, it is wrong.
    Sorry for the tangent:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by