what is that pattern and how to get it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kurka, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    i've found this on web:
    [​IMG]
    this is some kind of silkie x sultan cross[?] i'm not sure with sultan parent. 5 fingers and dark skin = silkie i think
    i guess it is kind of incomplete spangling but how to get this by crossing chicks ? i think it looks so lovely, that hearts:D

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    it kinda reminds me of quail color. maybe a d'anver cross I want a bird with hearts too [​IMG]

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Valentine....... see the hearts? [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Red Quill

not my bird
    [​IMG]

Chris

5. Prism Poultry

Prism Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2010
    We have several Polish that look very similar to that. We have them in Buff, Silver, and Gold. They are the foundation to our "Spangled" project Polish breeding program.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree that is proabably a Polish X Silkie. The color looks more like incomplete lacing like you can see in a lot of hatchery Silver laced Wyandottes that look more spangled than laced. I would guess crossing Buff or Partridge Silkies with a Golden laced polish would get you something like that.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I don't know, but Oooo-la-la!! [​IMG]

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Quote:the silver laced wyandottes i have look like that incomplete lacing, two are spangled like that and two are the standard looking [​IMG] very cool looking chicken, i love mutts

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:the silver laced wyandottes i have look like that incomplete lacing, two are spangled like that and two are the standard looking [​IMG] very cool looking chicken, i love mutts

Yep, there is so much variation in hatchery Wyandottes its said, they range from that spangled look to some that are nearly solid black with just a narrow streak of silver down the center of the feather, then sometimes you can find some with decent lacing. But thats what I believe the OPs bird is. Imcomplete Golden laced.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like a melanized duckwing to me, honestly. . . Perhaps even some columbian in there.

I do believe it's got some patterning genes (like lacing) that are only partial/incomplete, but that black head really tells me this one has some duckwing in there. It honestly has a very Easter-Egger type color, just with perhaps some melanizer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by