1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is that sound?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chcknwhisperer, Mar 27, 2017.

1. chcknwhisperer

chcknwhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    Hi everyone. Another question here.

One of my ducks started making this sound. As first I thought she was chewing. It has kind of a raspy quality to it.

I thought maybe she was panting, so I turned off the heat lamp (my house is 72 degrees). She never stopped the sound. I thought maybe it was shivering, so I turned the lamp back on. She is still doing it. She has plenty of water, food, and seems to be a good temperature. Anyone know what this is??

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    How old is the duckling?
    And does she have a deep water bowl? Deep enough to dunk her entire head in?
    They need to be able to dunk enough to clean eyes and clear out their nose...
    thats the most obvious thing i can think of. But without hearing the noise its hard to tell.
    Also is she panting? Open mouth breathing?

3. chcknwhisperer

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    Yes, and yes. The water is deep enough and they appear (both now) to be panting even if the light is off. I am not sure what to do.

4. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    How old are they? And how big of a brooder are they in?

5. chcknwhisperer

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    Even though they are 3 weeks old and have been using water just fine, I helped each duck put it head in the water. They seem a little better already. :) Thank you again!

6. chcknwhisperer

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    As a side note:

A box for brooding is one of my biggest challenges. I just don't have space to begin with. They keep outgrowing everything. Right now I am using a large rubbermaid tote and will have to get a larger one soon.

7. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yeah at 3 weeks mine are being brooded outside in the coop . I wouldnt turn on your heat lamp at all if yours are still indoors. It will be too hot !

8. chcknwhisperer

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    So, does anyone think letting my ducks play in my bathtub (while we clean out containers in which to keep them warm and safe) more than once a day will hurt them any? A friend gave us a dog crate and the ducks love it! But the smell can really get to me.

9. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    More swim time is always acceptable. Have someone supervise though. Always good to clean them AND their space. :)

10. chcknwhisperer

Mar 27, 2017
    Nowhere, IN
    My Coop
    Good to know! I always somebody or I sit with them or swimming. My bathtub and I don't think my bathtub has ever been so clean!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by