What is that white scale growth / pest on chicken's comb

Kim t

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2016
South Coast, NSW Australia
Chicken -3185.jpg
Chicken ? Scale-3181.jpg
Chicken -3185.jpg

Can you post another photo - the one where it's concentrated most on one side is not clear.

Where does this chicken roost?
Do the white spots wipe off easily? Wear gloves and rub your fingers across those gently and see if they come off.

It could be the start of Favus which is a fungal infection and would need treating with Micronidazole cream I believe... I have not dealt with this in my flock, but just come across it in reading posts on the forum, so do some research to confirm it in your own mind and check treatment options.
Thanks for your reply I will do more research.

Can you post another photo - the one where it's concentrated most on one side is not clear.

Where does this chicken roost?
Do the white spots wipe off easily? Wear gloves and rub your fingers across those gently and see if they come off.
Thanks for your reply. We live on a property with forest around on the mountain on the south east coast of NSW Australia. The chickens, only 8 spend most of their time in a large fenced pen. They get an hour or two free ranging late afternoons as we have wedge-tail eagles and Goshawks that take them.
This is the only chicken affected. We do have a lot of wildlife around so I am wondering if she picked something up when out foraging in the forest.
The white spots are hard and scaly and do not rub off. Fixed firmly onto comb. I will try to get a better photo.

Back
Top Bottom