What is the #7 priority mail box?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kennedyscochins, Oct 24, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Not sure if this is in the right place, but I was thinking about buying the egg foam to ship eggs in and they state it fits perfectly in the #7 priority mail box. I have looked on the internet and can't figure it out and the P.O. is closed today. So, I am turning to my BYC friends for help! Is this the medium flat rate box? I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth it or not, because although I could ship more eggs at a time, I would have to charge more for shipping. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Not sure? I send all my eggs in a medium flat rate priority mail box-the long one not the squatty box. I can ship up to 24 eggs in it-never had one arrive broken but I also buble wrap the crud out of each egg-put in a carton and tape in carton so as not to get jarred around-then I fill all areas of space between teh cartons and box-so once its packages-those eggs are going anywhere!

3. Hi! The #7 usps priority box (0-BOX7) is approx 12"x12"x8". The medium flat rate priority box (0-FRB1) is approx 8.5"x5.5"x11".
    I like either size for shipping eggs (I do not enjoy paying 'flat rate' price, when regular priority shipping is less).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I like the #7's. Gives a little more room for padding and like dipsy said its generally less expensive with a priority label vs the flat rate. I've never found the #7's online. I get em at our little small town PO (pop 124!) They've always got a good supply on hand. The big town close to us never has any. Anyone know if they are trying to phase out the #7's and get everyone to go flat rate?

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I wonder about that too, Flat Rate is always more expensive than Priority Standard, unless the item being shipped is really heavy.

6. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Thank you all! I wrap my eggs like Sonew123, but was thinking of trying the foam pads. I just didn't want to have to use flat rate because it's more expensive. Guess I need to go to the P.O. to get the boxes instead of trying to find them online.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:It is expensive but it is the easiest for me to ship-I tried to ship eggs the other a while back and the shipping cost me a fortume I quoted wrong prices and I paid out of my pocket. LOL SO now I kow exactly how much it is and what to charge--it may be a few dollars cheaper the other way for certain shipments but Im used to sending 18-24 eggs so that is heavier...Meh someday I might try the other way again Ive just had wonderful luck and Im afraid to jinx myself [​IMG]

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The post office I ship out of says that they can't carry the #7 anymore but that you can order them for free online (this is true). I am sure it is just a ploy to get more people to use the flat rate boxes and pay more. You have to set up a free account, then you can order packs of 10 or 25 sent free to your address. You can also get free priority mail stickers.

9. Hi! I just ordered more priority boxes this morning from The Postal Store.
    The #7 usps priority box (0-BOX7) is back on page 4.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

10. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Oh I found it! Thanks for the info! Couldn't see where to go to a page 4 but did a search for O-Box7 and it popped right up! Good to know!

btw Lisa you were the inspiration for how I package my eggs! Don't think I ever said thanks. So THANKS!! Haven't had a broken one yet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by