1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best age to sell a cockerel?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Donnigan, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I have a 7 week old cockerel i need to sell. What is the best age to sell a cockerel and for how much? Thanks

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It depends on what breed he is and also the market, which is generally saturated with roosters & cockerels. You'll be lucky to sell him, imo. Usually, we feel blessed if we can find a home for ours, and I give them away for the most part. But look on here on the sale thread and you'll get some ideas.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Most people rehome unwanted roos for free. Lots of members give them away on this site.
    Is your roo a very special rare breed?
    If yes, I have seen folks selling them on Craigslist for $30 or more. I saw recently a person selling a Lav Orp roo for that much.
    Now would be a great time to sell/free rehome him.
    Good luck!

4. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    Check your local craigslist to see what prices are in your area. In my area roosters tend to go for $10 to $20, but those are more mature birds. Higher prices can be seen for certain pure breeds.

A 7 week cockerel chick, if not a desired breed, probably won't sell. You'd do well to rehome for free. There are always more cockerels in the world than are needed...

5. Sabrina24

Sabrina24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    We bought ours last year for $10. He was almost a year old if I remember correctly. We have eggs about to hatch and if any are cockerels we will be selling for a similar price or giving them away. Or maybe the stew pot if we are feeling brave.

6. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I just checked Craiglists and there are no roosters/cockerels for sale in my town just one about 40 minuets away that didn't say the price. But rooster usually sale for 15-30$ here for a Ameracauna( that's what he is) and i saw someone in a different state was selling a Rhode Island Red for 20$. And Bantams usually sell for 30$ in my area. I think i will ask 15$ for him. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by