What is the best book to identify chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tsumo, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Tsumo

Tsumo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    So I've ordered some eggs the hatchery one dozen said it was a mix of "rarest of the rare" and the other dozen a mix of feather footed each description on the Mcmurray site gave a list of breeds the chicks could be. Some I've never heard of other I have. Most I've never seen as chicks. Is there a book or what's the best book to help identify these chicks? I'm looking for a book that has pictures of the adult bird and their chicks. Help! :)

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I've used this chick photo chart to help figure out some breeds:
    http://www.esteshatchery.com/gallery.html

Other than that, I would look on Amazon to see if they have a poultry breed photo book...I've seen them used in a feed store, so I know they are made.

Lady of McCamley

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you ordered from McMurray, go to their site. They have pics or videos of the different breeds of baby chicks, you can match them up easily there.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - their site is an excellent resource. Start with egg color, as that will help narrow the breed from which the egg could/could not have come. Once the chicks have hatched you can use things such as skin color, down color, comb type, clean/feathered legs and clean/feathered faces to further narrow the ID of each chick.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. Tsumo

Tsumo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately only 1 egg out of 24 developed past 7 days the rest were completely clear. :( The one is due to hatch any time now but I'm not gonna get my hopes up since it's the only egg. But I've got a tiny amount of hope for it!

8. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I have never ordered from a hatchery before but I would think that if the development rate was that bad, they would possibly compensate you.

You should get your new hatchling some friends. [​IMG] Chicken math and all that.

Here is another source I like to look up chicken pictures. They do have quite a few chick pics as well.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Better luck with the next batch![​IMG]

9. Tsumo

Tsumo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I contacted mcmurray and they sent me a whole new set of eggs and only half of those developed todat is day 7. Gonna give them a couple more days before I toss the clears. (Being optimistic) I did get some silkies from a hatch from about a week ago. As no chicken should be alone! (I think I border on being an addict. Lol)

10. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG] If your on this site, you've taken the first step to being an enabled addict. There are few here who would discourage you from adding more chicks.

I was so proud of my self today, went to Atwoods for feed and although I looked in the chickie tubs, I did not return home with any. I think I deserve a gold star![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by