What is the best breed for free ranging?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heiditam, Sep 4, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    In the very very short time that i have had a mixed flock, I notice that the most flightly of my birds is most likely the safest! And I noticed that two of my birds are aggressive foragers! What is the best bird for free ranging?

Aggressive forager, quick to respond to danger, and flighty enough to fly out of harm?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    There is not just one "best breed." There are several. Look for the light, flighty and forging kinds. Leghorns, anconas, sebrights, campines, sex links, hamburgs and fayoumis are all great breeds.

3. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    Oh the anconas!!!!! Want one! :) camouflage! Perfect :)

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Mountain Peeps list. Also Minorcas and Games (especially American Games) are excellent foragers. Mother Earth News rated Jungle Fowl and Cubalayas are the very best foragers of all the chicken breeds. There is a good article on good foraging chickens at http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Good_foraging_chicken_varieties/.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    IME EE's and Ameraucana friendly, good foragers and definitely can fly up enough to get out of the way(mine clear a 4ft fence daily) I run mine without a rooster too!

6. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014

Wonderful info! :) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by