What is the best breed of chicken for a family to have?

newhatcher2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I am planning on moving back to the woods, and we're looking to get chickens for organic eggs, bug population, overgrown grass areas, etc. I was wondering what the best breeds are that are friendly? I live in Northern Indiana so the breed has to be cold hardy and be able to stand heat also. I have done research but can not seem to get the same answers...
hu.gif

Any ideas?

I LOVE my Dominiques and Chanteclers for cold (Canadian) winters. They are both excellent dual-purpose breeds. They forage well, and the chanties go broody occasionally, so that would result in sustainability without an incubator. You're going to get a TON of opinions, though
wink.png

10 of each and build your coop to support about 30 of each breed and then start getting chickens...lots of them...trust me it will make sense later when you progress into chicken math...

black Australorps, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Barred Rock, Americana(Easter Eggers)...Really any dual purpose bird from hatcheries will do well foraging and in cold/warm weather.
I had 2 australorp, orpington and wyandotte in a small coop outside when it got to -25 windchill and they were fine.

Thanks! I am thinking about getting Buff Orpingtons.... they have such a nice color!
smile.png

I have had many breeds, and I mean many, and the ones that I am most amazed with and would even offer a refund if you do not become a believer (
lau.gif
) is the Bantam Brahmas. I got four as chicks and two were roos so they went away. I now have Gretchen and Angel and they are the most amazing birds. They are 2+ lbs each and lay a large egg which is unheard of for a bantam. They eat so much less than a full size chicken, and are extremely friendly, follow you around and love to be held
smile.png

I cannot say enough for them and as each of my others goes "away" I will replace them with more Bantam Brahmas. I live in NH and they do great here which is pretty much the same climate that you get. I cannot say enough about them
wink.png

~Julie

thumbsup.gif
Thanks for letting me know! I'm looking to get about four or five if we order, in case one or two pass on the way here...

If anyone sees anything about cold hardy chicks for sale around Indiana that is a low price & shipping fee, please send me the link! I keep checking the Chicks one day- 8 weeks board(because I want younger chicks), but if there are any other websites please let me know~!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom