1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best breed to try to hatch in my area? (Pennsylvania)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbenevento, Nov 27, 2012.

1. nbenevento

nbenevento Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    I am new to this so I need a little help choosing the right breed. I have 6 chickens now - 2 adult Rhode Island Reds and 2 adult Leghorns as well as a Silver laced Wyandotte pullet and an Australorp pullet. My wife wants me to order fertile eggs so our kids can see them hatch and experience the whole thing from egg to adult. However, I want to make sure I choose the right breed. I would like chickens that are great egg layers and also do well in Pennsylvania winters. My kids are 6 and 5 years old so I want something that is not too aggressive. PLUS, I want smething other than what I already have! Is all of this too much to ask??? So what do you receommend and I would alos love to hear receommendations for the place to order them from. Thaks!

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Would you be OK with sex links? I'm in Ohio, so similar winter conditions, and our RSL lay all winter long. They're pretty, friendly, and cold-hardy.

We get ours from Meyer hatchery here in Ohio.

I would recommend that you order from a hatchery that is as near to you as possible. I've heard people say that when you transport eggs to different climates (like ordering from Florida or Arizona to hatch her in Ohio) that the eggs don't hatch as well. <shrug> Dunno if it's true, but seems like an easy precaution to take.

3. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,[​IMG]..from PA also(lancaster co), I am new to this whole thing too. Do not have chickens yet, waiting till spring. I am looking at Orps., heard and read enough to feel very confident that are very cold hardy and nice!..I am looking to get into them and also wyandottes/barred rocks/barnevelders...all "fluffy-butts"[​IMG] haha. Have you checked out the "PA" thread, alot of real nice peeps over there, who knows, could find someone in your area.

4. nbenevento

nbenevento Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    I'm OK with sex links and pretty much any breed that fits the criteria I am looking for. CI am going to check out the place in Ohio for the eggs. Is it possible to choose the sex because if i get any roosters, I will have to get rid of them.

Where do I find the PA link?

5. LittleMissPurdy

go to "social", under the "forum" sign at the top of the page, and click on "where are you-" find the PA site there..can't remember the title. will find it if you nee me too
    [​IMG]

6. LittleMissPurdy

Pennsylvania.Unite!!! [​IMG]

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You can choose pullets only if you get day-old chicks, and sex links are bred specifically to be really easy to sex, so you'd have a super good chance of getting only females. HOWEVER, there is no possible way to sex chicks in a hatching egg, so you would have to expect that at least half of the eggs you ordered would have males inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by