What is the best broody and momma breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UBkevy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I need to start having chickens that hatch out eggs. So i need to find the best, most consistent and easiest to work with broody hen. Soooo what should i get

2. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Silkie's are first, than I'd say bantam cochins. Have fun!

3. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've had really good luck with Bantam Cochins & Silkies. They make awesome Mothers and mine have been very consistent in both laying and brooding their eggs.

Good Luck and enjoy your adventure!

joni

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    previous answer probably the best..
    I have a marans, speckled sussex and austrolorp all setting on the same nest right now, sooooooooooooooo....[​IMG]
    Have sussex that just hatched a clutch and anothr spash marans about due........
    My marans set like crazy last year also..................

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have a Black Cochin, just one year old this month, and she's just gone broody for the fourth time. I knew she would just keep going broody every six weeks unless I just gave in and let her be a mama. So I began allowing her conjugal visits with the Black Cochin roo right after her last broody spell, and I saved all of her fertilized eggs for this fourth occasion.

She began sitting on twelve eggs today. (It would have been about seventeen or eighteen, but I rotated the older eggs out, replacing them with newer eggs, keeping the number at twelve.) I chose my Cochin above the Wyandottes, who are also broody fiends, because she's so gentle in her broody temperament. I figured she'd also be a gentle mother hen and she wouldn't be angry when I want to pick up and cuddle her babies.

Cochins can be depended on to regularly go broody. Not much guess work and hope involved if you want a broody hen.

6. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    i am thinking bantams just because these birds will be in a coup set up to be a nusery and kept just to be moms. There for smaller birds to eat less. how many large eggs can a silkie hatch out? I also need to design the perfect nursery to keep hens broody and with a ton of roosting space for younger birds.

I will never get wyndottes again I just culled my 3 SLW because they have been kicking the crap out of my 12 week old chicks killing 1 today and possible crippling another

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you're designing a broody coop, you might want to consider doing what I did. I wanted to conserve space, but make the nest boxes safe and friendly for baby chicks. So I chose a corner and built stacked nests, in a stair-step fashion. The first nest is the largest and is just up three inches from the floor. The next nest above it is set back a few inches so that it resembles a stair and can be accessed by hopping up from the first nest. Then I added a third, the smallest, above that one. This way I can accommodate three broodies and their broods, and the youngsters can safely get up and down by hopping from each stair-step nest box. I put a lattice on the side away from the wall so babies won't fall out of the boxes. If they fall from one nest box to the one below, it's just a few inches into the wood shavings.

A perch runs along the length of one wall. The entire broody coop is just five feet by four feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by