What is the best broody chicken ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by houndit, Aug 9, 2008.

1. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I want to find out what the number one best brody chicken is. I absolutely hate to incubate eggs. I have not had very good sucses at it. I would rather let a bird do the work anyway. Right now I mainly have sex link hybrids. I have tried multiple times to let one that is broody set. Every time they just have all the eggs blow up. They are good eggs. If a turkey sets on the same eggs they hatch . Do other people have this problem wih sex links or is it maybe just the particular strain I have? I am fed up with it, and want to find a chicken that is really good about setting and hatching eggs. I was preety sure I was going to get cochins but what is your opinion on the best setter? Next I was sure I wanted a standard chicken because they could cover lots more eggs. But now that feed costs so much more I was wondering if I should get bantams. They could only sit on a few eggs, but they might eat less. What would be the best alternative financially? What kind of chicken?
    I would appreciate help.
    Thank you.

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Believe it or not but I always find my frizzle's setting on eggs.. And they always have great hatch rates.
    Also my cochins are good at setting.

They are both banty breeds.

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I believe this was posted not too long ago. Try the search

4. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    My Australorp can't get enough of being broody....sigh. My friend also has an Australorp, same deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by