what is the best coop design for breeding your own breed

The main criterion is "big" LOL Seriously.

As for whether bigger coops should be square-ish or long and narrow, it depends. If you are in a very cold-winter climate then squareish is valuable. If you want to have a jillion different runs (lots of separate pens, each with own run) then long and narrow is better.

In any design, if you need space for pairs or trios to be put temporarily for matings, it is not hard to build wall cages or shelf-type pens. Although it is much much harder and more annoying to try to make attached run space for these.

Depending on what your hatching schedule is, it can be useful in serious-winter climates to have grow-out accommodations for summer use only, that way you are not spending money on winterworthy space for more chickens than you will actually overwinter.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I live in north Florida, I,m making two strains.Have been breeding for two years in a 12 by 20 foot coop.Also thanks for the advice

I should think mostly what you'd need are grow-out pens. Cattle-panel hoop-style ones would be economical and effective, especially if you can put them in an area whose perimeter is really well fenced (including electric) to keep out raccoons, possums, bears, that sort of thing... then you do not have to do so much to predatorproof each individual pen.

Most people, the number of actual breeders they carry over is not that huge, the taxing thing is being able to raise up like 50-100+ birds per year until the point where you can see whether they are going to be keepers or culls.

Pat

I already have keepers 2 wyandotte aracaunas.2 new Hampshire orpington legorns. Dad started that strain with rooster. An one Cochin aracauna they are all hens

Back
Top Bottom