What is the BEST family pet chicken breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmlane1027, Feb 9, 2017.

1. kmlane1027

kmlane1027 New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    We are looking to start a backyard flock (6 hens) for pets and eggs. What is the best breed for that as we have children. Must also be cold weather hardy as we live in Wisconsin!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Speckled Sussex or Orpingtons........Very docile birds......

Cheers....!

3. Wavechickens

Wavechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Vermont
    I would highly suggest Easter Eggers. They are small/medium bird, that lay a range of blue to green eggs. They are very, very friendly if handled and around people a lot when being raised, and are cold tolerant because they have very small combs, and waddles, making them less prone to frostbite. We had a flock of 15 at my parents house in Vermont growing up and loved them to pieces. Sweet, little hens, but also pretty good egg layers with a nice little splash of color.
    My husband and I just started a flock with 5 in it last year and they are sweet little buggers.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hello fellow Wisconsinite, I greatly enjoy my bantam cochins if you don't mind little eggs, otherwise I'm a fan of buff Orpingtons. The roosters can get frostbite on their combs during winter though. Buff chantecler, Easter eggers, and Wyandotte do well with their smaller combs.

I have kept many different breeds and most of the dual purpose breeds do well, barred rocks, Australorp, and large cochins are usually friendly birds too. Handle them gently and bribe them with treats as they grow and you should have a friendly flock.

5. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Overrun With Chickens

Jan 18, 2017
    Naboo
    My Coop
    Buff Orpington is my favorite breed. They are extremely docile, and cold-hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by