what is the best feed for chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RLG57, Nov 13, 2014.

1. RLG57

RLG57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    As I am having no luck finding some thing the chickens will eat , I was told and read cat food how true is that . TIA .

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    What are you trying to accomplish?

3. RLG57

RLG57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    trying to find a great food that they will eat , as I seem to be wasting a of a lot of seed , they loved the snapper frames only bones where left and the left over stew all went but seed they only eat the sun flower seeds . help needed what I am I doing wrong .

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If they were used to eating candy, it's going to take some time for them to eat a balanced diet. Some chickens don't like pellets and will only eat crumbles, some won't touch mash and will only eat pellets. I'l start by taking everything away and only giving them their layer. What brands have you tried? Sometimes the bag can be "off" and you just have to either take it back or feed it to the birds and get a fresh bag. Do you have any locally milled products? Have you tried game bird feed?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  5. RLG57

RLG57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    hi I have tried chicken candy , and red hen , organic hen nothing changes I am at a los to what to feed them they eat scraps no worry ( meal leftovers ) no I have not tired game bird , I will see if I can buy a small bag to see if they like it if they do I will by a bigger bag . TIA for you help .

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

The problem is they are used to eating 'junk food' it's equivalent to taking a kid to get all you can eat ice cream everyday after school and then wondering why they don't eat their dinner...

100% stop feeding them all the scraps for a week or two and I'll bet you they start eating the pellets or crumbles just fine... After a few weeks you can you toss them a few scraps here an there, but limit the scarps to about 10% of their entire diet...

7. RLG57

RLG57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Ifound a great feed for them and there is no waste it is fine chicken mash they love it .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by