What is the best food for layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bock, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have always fed my girls pelleted Layena . I never had any problems with thin shells, so I never gave them oyster shell. I do have one 1.5 year old Production Red that lays a huge brown egg every day and has never molted. She looks pretty terrible, but everyone else is ok. We always get nice eggs too. Now I am hearing they need animal protein and Purina doesn't have any??? [​IMG] I was just curious what you feed your girls, what your eggs are like, and how they do on it.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You'll get a lot of different answers to this question. I was using the Purina also, and recently switched to Nature Wise, by Nutrena. Nutrena has animal protein in it. My girls love it.

3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I wonder if you can get that at TSC. [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I have never seen it there before. I buy lots of food at TSC too. I special ordered it from my feed store. They too, are Purina dealers, along with Nutrena. Most of their Nutrena is for horses though.

5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost? [​IMG]

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There are a lot of differing opinions about animal vs vegetable protein--I'd say if it's working for you stay with it. Chances are if you chickens are getting outside they are getting some protein anyway and you can always toss in meat scraps.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Its about $13.99 for 50 lbs. I don't think its a bad price.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

well, if the Layena is working, that's great. If it ain't broke, dont' fix it. I've used Purina food for a while and it's fine!

I now get local Co-Op Gamebird Conditioner for mine because they seem to love it and it's cheaper than Layena, it happens to have animal protein as well but since my birds usually get to free range there is no real "dealbreaker" for me when it comes to feed. I tend to go with whatever is priced right this week.

9. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    b.hromada :

Quote:Its about $13.99 for 50 lbs. I don't think its a bad price.

Thanks everyone! $14 isn't bad. I have been giving them a handful of TOTW cat food every day. I will research it further soon, to see if a switch would be better for them. [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats what you do. If you like the feed, then you can just stick with it. I know that sometimes the feed prices can go up a lot. I too, use Purina Flock Raiser for my chicks, until they start laying. I like the flock raiser for my goose and duck, I just think its more substantial for them. But, so far, so good with the Nutrena! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by