What is the best form of poultry raising for profit?

MrW1998

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
What poultry species do you have? How do you raise the birds? How do you make an income from them, and how much? What are the overheads? Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just a kid trying to figure out if the poultry I'm raising is the most profitable.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You might want to do some reading and posting in this thread on profits on poultry. Maybe you can glean some info here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268814/started-reading-pastured-poultry-profit-joel-salatin

Good luck with your projects and welcome to our flock!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

It really depends on what you want to raise birds for - eggs? Meat? Purebred breeding stock? If you look through the Forum, particularly the Raising Backyard Chickens section, you may find some answers, or better places to ask. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising poultry for profit is a very challenging endeavor, requiring a lot of hard work, and should not be entered lightly. A good place to start is by reading http://smithmeadows.com/farm/want-to-raise-your-own-chickens/. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your poultry business going.

Hello!
welcome-byc.gif

If you're trying to make profit i would recommend purchasing a show quality dual purpose bird such as a Buff Orpington, Plymouth Rock, Brahma, etc.
1. You can make money from winning shows.
2. You can make money from selling eggs.
3. You can make money from the meat.

hope this helps.

The only way to really make big money is to import a new breed. But it takes a lot of money to import chickens. A trio could cost you $8000. Then there are the costs for breeding pens and growing out the flock. Once you have the flock size sufficient, then you can market and sell them.

If you are lucky, you will make money. Don't fall for the trap of buying a breed like Ayam Cemani and thinking you will make money. Those that breed them started years ago and by the time you grew out a flock, the price would die down. You have to be the first of a new breed in this country to make money. Otherwise you will probably only break even.

Which kind of chicken you get depends on how you want to make your money.

If you're raising chickens for meat, you need to go with Cornish cross (also known as Cornish X and Cornish X Rocks). They are the hybrids that all the meat houses use as they grow at fantastic rates, and are ready for butchering at 8 weeks (twice as fast as the standard breeds). In fact, if you wait much later to butcher them, they begin to have all kinds of health problems due to their rapid growth.

If you're raising chickens for eggs, then you need to either go with one of the White Leghorn strains (if you live in a warm winter area), or with one of the Sex Links (if you live in a cold winter area), which come in Black and Red varieties. These are the hens used by the laying houses (which depends on whether they're producing white or brown eggs) for good reason as they are egg laying machines. I have raised Black Sex Links for many years and they give me six eggs (occasionally seven) per day per hen.

If you want to sell chicks or raise show birds, then you need to go with a good quality standard breed (or breeds). Which breed would be up to you.

Back
Top Bottom